Wednesday 1 April 2009

If it hadn't been for the 'puppy-dog' eyes and what exactly is it with the Post Office anyway?!

So, anyway, just the 10 days late with the posting of the submission - procrastination no more - today was the day - oh yeah (slow version) ... !

Well 'like' - it went like this:
PLAN OF ACTION:
  1. TEACH STUFF TO EDUCATE THE FUTURE GENERATION
  2. TEACH, PLAY AND WIN CHESS - ALSO TO EDUCATE THE FUTURE GENERATION
  3. LEAVE EXACTLY 30 SECONDS AFTER THE END OF SAID CLUB
  4. GO AND POST THE SUBMISSION

Everything was going fine - I ignored suggestions to watch little people play football or bigger ones play rugby after moulding minds - heartless but necessary - I was on a shedule here

So where did it all go wrong?

Sick rugby player = player and Mommy going home (I blame Patient X - still)

No problem - still single-mindedly pursuing the writer's dream of making it to the Post Office before it closes with the parcel to get it weighed, stamped and in the post box - I head off to Chess with my eager collection of geeks - looking forward to their go at attempting to thrash the teacher - the most fun they get all week! I had been forced to return to reading 'Improve your Chess' after allowing one of the little perishers to blind-side me with clever rook play last week - never again! I'd remember to pay attention and show a little respect this week.

SO WHERE DID IT ALL GO WRONG?

Puppy-dog eyes!!

Sick player! Therefore the devoted parent was unavailable for transportation duty - at 3:30 with nothing that could be done except to cancell the away fixture or persuade 'soft' teachers to step into the transportation breach!

See above: all the KS2 teachers were involved in Art Club, Chess Club, Rugby matches, Football tournament, hosted at ours, so all helpful staff members were otherwise occupied. Then I thought the problem was averted when KS1 stepped up with staff member able to get the team THERE - this, of course, only made my dilemma worse - the 'pretty pleases' and 'puppy eyes' did it! I agreed to go and rescue them from the other side of town - with the traffic against me on the return journey - all because I had to pass the sad-looking, huddled throng of already changed rugby players with their best crestfallen, disillusioned, miserable eyes on my way to the Chess Wars!

So:

  • did teaching - fair enough I get paid for that - 3:30 PO still open
  • did Chess Club - no one beat me today (need I say more - except the fact that no-one there is over the age of 11 - except me) - 4:30 PO still open
  • collected victorious rugby team from opposite end of town, returned them to school, drove home again hacking through cross town traffic - 5:30

And the problem with that? THE PART-TIME OPENING HOURS OF THE GREAT, BRITISH INSTITUTION KNOW AS THE POST OFFICE!!!!

Why do they close at exactly the same time as working people finish work? Why can they not give us a chance to post things to loved ones or Literary Agencies ? Couldn't they just stay open until - Oh! I don't know - a more reasonable time?!

Tomorrow is another day - I await the next effort of the Harbinger of Anti-writing } : (

No comments:

Post a Comment