Tuesday 23 November 2010

EDITING - THIS IS AN AUDITORY VERSION OF WHY EDIT - HOSTED BY TUUUNES The Apples in Stereo: "Play Tough"

Apples in Stereo are responsible for one of my favourite tracks of all time. Not high brow in musical circles, its jangle makes me happy.  I wanted to post it for my TUUNES on Tuesday before I was overcome with disappointment at how-less-than-clear the wonder of the track is... in this version.

Saturday you woke me up from a dream
Torn out of the pages of a magazine

You got to play tough, my love
You got to play cool
You got to play tough, my love
When you play me for a fool
(When you play me for a...)

Saturday you woke me up into a drag
Peaches in the creases of a plastic bag 

Lyrics to lap up!

However, back to editing. Press play on the track below. It is the band singing live. You can almost hear what a brilliant song it is, a perfect harmony of lyric, tune and voice BUT look up the track as it appears on the album New Magnetic Wonder. This version is not available on Youtube and I can't make it appear here by willpower alone, which is a shame - it was the last version of 'How To' I tried last night.

Please look up the tune, it is superlatively good ;) SPOTIFY will help you out. I made a link to my playlist of one track. It was the best I could do.

http://open.spotify.com/user/elaineamsmith/playlist/4taKmc30pQz7u5ZTGLcdwM BLOG

The gem of an amazing song is here in this version - with a little polish (as an analogy of editing for the novel) - the true genius of this track would be able to shine through.





I have 2000 words left to write 9/10 mostly all dénouement and no action: I have to write it so I can cut it out later ;)

How is your writing going?

4 comments:

  1. "I have to write it so I can cut it out later"
    LOL

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Summer :)
    You just need to know it was there. Even if it ends up just a spectre on the dust jacket sleeve :)Hopefully!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that is a great song! I'll look it up!

    Good luck with that last 2000! It's funny how we can go into a project knowing so much of it will be cut. I think if I added up all that I've cut from my latest manuscript, I would find that 3/4 of the time I've spent writing it was to write stuff that got chopped. It's depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carolina
    I think I write as I would "tell" then I translate into written format ;)

    ReplyDelete