Thursday 5 May 2011

AV UNDECIDED

I'm going to ask if I can rank my first
and second choice. ;)

I’m going to vote in the AV referendum because it is a referendum and because I’ve been asked to have an opinion.
I’m having a problem with voting on this issue: I don’t know what effect it would have on the electoral system. I cannot see what the consequences might be. I don’t know what the real advantages and disadvantages are.
The campaigns –Yes and No – have been unconvincing. Both sides waged negative campaigns that didn’t cast much light on the issue. I watched every advert and ended up just as confused as I was at the start.
The changes which could be wrought as a result of the referendum are historic  – they could reach deep into the fabric of our government – so abstaining can’t be the right response… but it is tempting.
I’m going to vote. The papers are in my hand but I still don’t know which way I’m voting.
Maybe I’ll go for coffee or perhaps I’ll opt for a beer at one of the town centre pubs instead ;)
Would you prefer a jumble-sale of MPs making decisions or the neat and tidy rows separated by the colour of their ties?

2 comments:

  1. More power to you. I wouldn't know how to vote either. I'd be at the coffee shop doing LOTS of research first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen
    The ramifications of the decision make it seem awesome... to me :s

    ReplyDelete