Tuesday 21 June 2011

COMMA, RULES? ;)

Today is WT*$*AISTPT Comma Day ;) 

This post is based on a piece of genius I have pinned up over my computer. 

I'm letting Rowland, from from my wip - STARRING - demystify the slippery little tadpoles of punctuation.  

COMMAS

Rowland drew a defensive ward.
One independent clause needs a full stop at the end.

Rowland drew a defensive ward when the forest was pierced by red eyes.
The independent clause is before the dependent clause.
(Punctuation only follows a dependent clause so the full stop is all that is needed.)

When the forest was pierced by red eyes, Rowland drew a defensive ward.
The dependent clause is now at the beginning of the sentence. As punctuation follows a dependent clause, the comma is needed.

Rowland drew a defensive ward; he repelled the danger.
These are two independent clauses; attach them with a semicolon.

or...

Rowland drew a defensive ward, and he repelled the danger. 
There is an alternative form of punctuation, because you can join independent clauses together with a comma and a conjunction. 

DO YOU FIND COMMAS SLITHER INTO YOUR WORK WHEN YOU ARE NOT LOOKING?

1 comment:

  1. I love comma etiquette, probably because I was so bad with it for so long. I always read the posts like this, because I'm afraid that even though I THINK I know everything, there MUST be something else I'm missing. Haha. Great post. I love the "Commas Save Lives" thing. Not a big fan of cannibalism, myself.

    <3 Gina Blechman

    ReplyDelete