Sunday 15 January 2012

SIX SENTENCES - DRAWN: INSIDE HALE'S HEAD

HALE HAS A POINT OF VIEW? NO. IMAGINE THE RE-WRITE.


Six sentences, from the paranormal side.


I've been writing DRAWN from Darrah's POV. At the earliest stage, I decided this was her story and I was going to write it purely from her perspective. Then this morning, as I woke, I saw what happened during the minutes Hale found her unconscious with hypothermia and had to work to revive her.


DRAWN


Darrah has been charged with finding and rescuing the Regal's heir. The evidence suggests he was taken by a band of Sarkisians who feed directly from the living. Darrah fights her cultural prejudice and instinctive fears when The Sarkisian Council send Fauld Hale to work alongside her to rescue the boy and maintain the fragile peace between their peoples.


This is my life or death SUNDAY 6:


 Even with his acute hearing finding her hadn't been easy, her weak heart barely whimpered in the gale. Ice crystals glittered, her skin more grey than blue. Too late. Hale pulled the glove from stiff fingers and uncurled her hand around his cheek. He tried to force a dele with her. His strength seeped outward but, this way, the process was too slow.


I love language, sometimes the perfect word already exists and all I need to do is to hit translate. This time, I owe the perfect word to Norwegian.
 to share - a dele  
Correct pronounciation? No idea. I'm going with deal.
A deal comes with multi-layered expectations: to share, distribute, administer but with the expectation that there has been a negotiation and sense of compromise. Forcing a deal must come with consequences.
When it comes to commenting, I'm always happy to read one that help me improve my work.


GENRE, LITERARY OR MAINSTREAM FICTION ,AFTER YOUR CURRENT WIP, WHAT ARE YOU PLANNING TO WRITE NEXT?

5 comments:

  1. Supposedly, my Western, but I'm already working on my WiP's sequel. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This keeps getting better and better, Elaine. I'm so glad Hale spoke up and demanded his own POV ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Misha
    Writing a Western sounds exciting. I hope the writing goes quickly with the sequel so you can get to where you want to be.

    Hi lexcade
    I'm glad you are rooting for Hale. I wish he'd stayed brooding and mysterious, opening up to his point of view is going to increase the word count. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when a character demands their own POV! That's when you know your story has truly come alive. My WIP is a historical romance, but I'm also working a bit on a mythological story - an account of Clytemnestra's relationship with Helen which is completely different, and a fantasy mythology story about Sisyphus is slowly being plotted. I think there will be another historical romance before I get to them though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Charity
    I wish Hale wouldn't ;) I love the sound of your historical romance. Writers can do so much with Greek mythology there are so many bleak and tragic possibilities.

    ReplyDelete