Sunday 19 February 2012

SIX SENTENCE SUNDAY - HIJACKED?

My Six Sentence Sunday post has been hi-jacked. 

Darrah and Hale are sulking under WORD, FILE, RECENT, I-DON'T-THINK-SO

With the exception of Chapters 23 and 27 - mostly a title and a smile - I have a completed novel, again. This time THE HIGH ROAD is written in alternating 1st person narratives. Complete - or it will be - in 50,000 words. ;)

THE HIGH ROAD
GIRL
CHAPTER 1
BEFORE

Our headlights picked out white lines and the ghostly trees that edged the road. The moon was trying but the shifting clouds kept crowding it out. I couldn't watch the scenery change so when the road twisted up the side of the mountain, I slid around the turns. My stomach ached so I laughed. I rolled and swung my legs over the rail that kept the mattress and me in our place at the top of the van.
“Fion! Calm down.” Mum pushed at the cardboard box of cooking utensils. They’d skidded around too.  “We’re nearly there.”
I flopped onto my back. 
My woven fish were taped to the roof. They were darting from side to side moving like fishes under the sea. Rocking on his side, Elephant's wide, white eyes made him look confused. I sat him up and propped him in the corner of the shelf with strong coconut monkey. Arms folded, Monkey looked enigmatic when I pushed them together and stacked my books behind them.
When we turned the next corner, they both slipped over again. I guessed that was how it was meant to be. They were used to falling over. We’d travelled through India and part of China before we’d driven up the total length of Europe. None of the places we’d driven through had been blurred by speed. My view, from the van with the drippy tap, was that the world was enormous. 



Edinburgh-based, Floris Books, 2012 Kelpies Prize

I am still aiming to enter this annual competition. 

The Kelpies Prize is open to children's novels with a strong, engaging narrative set wholly or mainly in Scotland with some relevance to children of today. Aimed at readers between eight and twelve, the manuscripts need to be between 40,000 and 70,000 words and in English.  
The judges' preference is not for animal stories or novels with a strong romantic theme. 
I hope they have a deep and abiding love of Earth based contemporary science fiction.

ANYONE GOT A LIFE? 
I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO GET TO THE SHOP TO PICK UP MY NEW READING GLASSES. IT IS ALL A MATTER OF PRIORITIES, IF THEY WERE HOLDING ONTO NEW SHOES - OR A NAVY SATCHEL - I'D HAVE MADE IT TO TOWN. BUT, NO...I'M REVISING AND EDITING. HOW ARE YOU FILLING YOUR TIME?

No comments:

Post a Comment