Sunday 17 June 2012

6 SENTENCE SUNDAY - IS THE FATHER'S ROLE SIGNIFICANT?


We did... non-fiction.
“I think that the best thing we can do for our children is to allow them to do things for themselves, allow them to be strong, allow them to experience life on their own terms, allow them to take the subway...let them be better people, let them believe more in themselves.”
~ C. JoyBell C.

Fathers play a significant role in my books although they are rarely present as the story unfolds.


MORTIMER CHILTON AND THE COLLECTIVE

In Mortimer's world the children live near their biological mothers and the role of father has been erased. Mortimer has no mother or father he has a parent, the only one his society believes necessary. 

All children, once they age beyond being a Small are allocated their own space with the other Low to keep them out of the Up and Adult rands.



6 SENTENCES FOR SUNDAY:


I kept lookout for my parent. Duty officers are busy; even allowing for that my P was conspicuously absent. I obsessed about seeing her.The first time I’d hacked into the deck cameras – which was a good year ago – I’d gotten more than surprised. When I checked the vid-feed for my deck, I found images of her in the corridor near my apartment. Not sometimes, she came by quite often. Her steps slowed but usually she kept on going. 


The impact of Mortimer's isolation, even among the other Low, is significant in shaping his response to the challenges he must face.

IN YOUR WIP, DOES YOUR MC'S FATHER COMMAND SIGNIFICANT IMPORTANCE?



6 comments:

  1. My main characters are always influenced in some way by their fathers. I realized this when I wrote my first novel. I realized every story I came up with followed this pattern and I figured it has some psychological significance. I spent some time trying to psycho analyze myself in order to find out why. I finally gave up trying to figure it out and decided to just go with it.

    Your main character sounds very interesting as does the story that goes along with him. It sounds like something I would enjoy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherri

      I think you are right, we always end up examining our own psychological make up when we expect our characters to act in particular ways.

      I'm glad you like MORTIMER and his sci-fi story. A dark and funny adventure for readers aged 9 and above.

      Delete
  2. yes and no--very interesting question!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynn

      It seemed a very appropriate question for the day ;)

      Delete
  3. In my women's fiction novel, the father is THE reason for everything; but he does not make an appearance outside of memory. I have a couple novels where Dads - or parents - play significant roles.

    I never thought about their involvement before. Interesting.

    Mortimer and his world are also intriguing concepts. You have some unique worlds Elaine.

    ..........dhole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how that happens, even if the father is no longer present - has never been present - he has a significant impact on the MC.

      Thank you for your thoughts on Mortimer's world - there is a paradigmic shift.

      Delete