Thursday 10 January 2013

ASK YOURSELF, MC, DO YOU DESERVE TO SIT ON THE SHELVES?

SO, ASK YOURSELF, MC, DO YOU
DESERVE TO SIT ON THE SHELVES?

I think I did pretty well, considering I started out with nothing but a bunch of blank paper. ~ Steve Martin


If you think about it, the MC in your novel, if he wants to be noticed, will need to develop in an unpredictable way.  This is because the shelves are stuffed with MCs. 

It occurred to me, as a wanna-be author, that the question I need to ask my MC is What is it about you that means you deserves a place up there? What makes you so special?

From an idea and authorly discipline, every MC started as nothing but a keystroke but it should keep on changing as the word grows.

Enthusiasm and large dose of inquisitiveness has prepared the wanna-be writer with two basic tools for the job. 

Research backs-up that fiction up with facts.

I think characters mess with your head.

Dot to dot development is the predictable way to go but, when I was younger, I just wanted to slash about with free-form strokes and add a little variation to those early-learning puzzles. Some things never change.

WHAT IS IT ABOUT YOUR CHARACTER THAT MEANS THEY DESERVE TO SIT ON THE SHELVES?

2 comments:

  1. That is an excellent question to ask an MC. It's also a good idea to explain just that in your query letter. If your MC is boring, your book probably doesn't deserve a place on the shelves. Sad, but true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shell Flower
      You've already made me smile :D IT is a serious question and one that made the boys in my wip tremble.

      Delete