Thursday 31 January 2013

BETWEEN THE VAMPIRES AND THE ZOMBIES PILFERING WRITE TIP #2 FROM DARREN SHAN WAS DOUBLY DANGEROUS

Darren Shan
image from i.Telegraph
Whatever that is on the wall,
can I have one;please?

Today, I spent the times between the two day jobs writing.

No matter how tight time is, I have to write each day. It’s like when someone is talking about bugs, headlice or “cooties” – just the thought of them makes me itchy. 

During my blog and website reading time, I went to visit Darren Shan’s Writing Tips section. 

Despite being the first MG writer who made me react like a stereo-typical-teacher-of-ten-year-olds - all wide-eyed and wow-really? For kids? (There’s bite in them-there books) - I had NEVER (*rained on by a cloud of shame) been over to read Darren Shan's website.

There is so much useful stuff over there!

Write Tip #2

For words of wisdom AKA Write Tip #2 these are the thoughts of Darren Shan:

“One of the key rules of writing is that you don’t have to tell your readers EVERYTHING. You don’t want to leave too many blank holes in the narrative, of course, but you don’t have to cover every last tiny crack either. The flow of the story should always be your utmost concern. If you can fit all the “facts” in around that—fine. If you can’t, don’t worry too much about it. Pick the most pertinent details and explain them comprehensively—leave the more minor inessentials to the eagle-eyed fans to pick over and ask questions about. There’s nothing wrong with a bit of mystery!!!”

Darren Shan

DO YOU KNOW OF ANY OTHER AUTHORS' WEBSITES THAT ARE FULL OF USEFUL TIPS ABOUT WRITING?

6 comments:

  1. I can't quote any off the top of my head...but I bet you'll meet a lot of them during this Challenge! Welcome aboard!

    Tina @ Life is Good
    Co-host, April 2013 A-Z Challenge
    @TinaLifeisGood, #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tina
    I'm always delighted to find authors who, despite all the writing pressures, make time to offer suggestions and advice to others who are trying to write too.

    I'm looking forward to the A-Z Challenge. Posting alphabeticaly is like writing in November only more difficult ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say, I like the idea of fans picking over one of my books and finding all the inconsistencies . . . I guess because it would mean someone else cared that much about something I wrote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi GE
      I can see how that would be fun - even if you were just avoiding over-tell you'd come over as mysterious and deep *grins

      Delete
  4. I'm a big Darren Shan fan. I didn't know about his writing tips. I'll take a look at his website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Medeia
      He has LOADS of useful stuff on his site :)

      Delete