Tuesday 23 April 2013

TENSION - A to Z CHALLENGED


T is for TENSION
Each post for the A to Z Challenge is the challenge I set for myself.  

Generally, it takes two to create tension
 but three is even better.















T is for Tension because without it the reader turns pages. Every scene needs a source of tension. Tension is created when the sentences are short. The dialogue is confrontational. And, when time is running out.

HAL LONGLEAT AND THE TROUBLE WITH TRUTH

Down in the courtyard, the weary warrior was replaced by a steely soldier. After gripping his chest and bending his head, the knight prepared to take his shot. What must it feel like to be a knight… to know the arrow you fire could hurt another person? Hal shivered. The knight was ready, his arm bent back behind him. The bow tensed. As a light breeze shifted the edge of his white cloak, the knight remained still.

Could YOU have been gifted with the ability to identify and eliminate weak and brittle phrases from your work? To the uninitiated, these interlopers look like quality imagery.

CLICHÉ RAIDERS: REWRITE!

•           take it with a grain of salt
•           thankful for small mercies, be
•           that’s life
•           tighten our/your belts
•           time flies
•           time waits for no man
•           tired and emotional
•           tomorrow is another day
•           torrential rain
•           trials and tribulations

FOR T, I CHOSE TENSION. WHAT IS THE SUBJECT OF YOUR T POST?

6 comments:

  1. That is an excellent little excerpt to describe tension. And I love the inclusion of cliches in your post. Since you visited my blog, you may remember, my T post is about Trunk Bay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bish
      Thanks for your kind thoughts. I'm glad you enjoyed the clichés.
      I remember your post on Trunk Bay very well - I don't often meet people who used to own paradise ;)

      Delete
  2. It's so crazy to think of making sure there is tension on every page of a novel. I know this is what sets books apart, but in my own writing, I'm always like "really?". Readers are a bit more removed, so when it's someone else's writing you want that. I am still working on getting the tension and pace right in a longer work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shell
      Internal or overt external conflict the tension is as relentless as waves. Good luck with your writing. I'm sure you'll work out how to ratchet up the tension and pace the novel to keep your readers turning the pages.

      Delete
  3. My Modern American History professor my junior year of university had a great spin on one of the phrases in your clichés list. Someone claimed he was going to miss the professor and wanted to keep in touch with him, and the professor said he'd take that with a dumptruck of salt. Ever since then, I've loved using that phrase in place of "a grain of salt."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carrie-Anne
      I can picture the scene, I bet the professor had heard that sentiment one too many times. I guess, before Twitter and FB it was harder to keep in touch.

      Delete