Thursday 25 April 2013

VOICE - A to Z CHALLENGED


Each post for the A to Z Challenge is the challenge I set for myself.
V is for VOICE

Communication involves tone,
gesture and eye contact;
the writing has a lot to get across
















V is for Voice which is – theoretically – a representation of how you would normally speak. My normal mode of speech involves a lot of gestures, eye contact, body position and TEETH. It’s a struggle to get that onto the paper in a form my MG/YA readers could follow ;) The foundation of writing is communication. All the best advice is to keep the writing simple.

HAL LONGLEAT AND THE TROUBLE WITH TRUTH
“I see you’re keeping out of the way.”
“Edith!” he said, quickly. He darted a look around. He hadn’t heard the kitchen maid arriving over the noise in the castle courtyard. “I don’t want to watch.”
She smiled. “Delicious food and a warm bed instead of leftovers and straw in the stable – I’d settle for worries like that.”
“All I know is how to work horses.”
“Sure. And, that will come in handy.”
“Maybe.” Hal gripped his sore thumb inside his fist.
“If I were you, and a boy, and a knight wanted to make me a page in his household, I’d be interested enough to see if it happened.”

Could YOU have been gifted with the ability to identify and eliminate weak and brittle phrases from your work? To the uninitiated, these interlopers look like quality imagery.

CLICHÉ RAIDERS: REWRITE!

•           vanish into thin air
•           variety is the spice of life
•           vested interest
•           vicious circle
•           vote with their feet

FOR V, I CHOSE VOICE. WHAT IS THE SUBJECT OF YOUR V POST?

No comments:

Post a Comment